Alateen is part of Al-Anon, which helps families and friends of alcoholics recover from the effects of living with the problem drinking of a relative or friend. Alateen is a fellowship of young Al-Anon members, usually teenagers, ages 12 to 19, whose lives have been affected by someone else’s drinking. Alakid is for children between the ages of 6 and 12. Alateen and Alakid groups are sponsored by Al-Anon members who meet the current NCWSA safety requirements and have successfully completed a background check.
Younger people come together to:
- share experiences, strength, and hope with each other
- discuss their difficulties
- learn effective ways to cope with their problems
- encourage one another
- help each other understand the principles of the Al-Anon program
- learn how to use the Twelve Steps and Alateen’s Twelve Traditions